Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
SGA Film Screening - Denver
Sunday, September 30, 2012 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (MDT)
You are invited to a private screening of the new documentary film, Seventh-Gay Adventists: A film about faith on the margins. This film follows the stories of three gay and lesbian Adventists as they struggle to be true to themselves and their faith. The film is set in the context of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, the fastest growing denomination in the United States, but the film's themes of belonging, identity, and wrestling to know who you are and how you relate to your faith has been resonating with viewers around the country who can't tell their Adventists from their Mormons.
Although this is a topic that is often highly charged in the church (any church), this film's approach to simply share stories is being affirmed by thought leaders in the church and film community. Here are a few endorsements:
- "The film is superb--a poignant and profound experience beyond any I've seen on the subject." - Chris Blake, author and professor, Union College
- "Whatever one's position regarding homosexuals and the church may be, this film is worth seeing because it candidly probes issues with real human faces and stories." - Dr. Roy Gane, professor, Andrews Seminary
- "The movie, which simply tells stories rather than taking an advocacy stance, is powerful. It can, I believe, do much to make Adventists more compassionate in this controversial area of lifestyle." - Dr. William Johnsson, retired editor The Adventist Review
- "It is a movie every Seventh-day Adventist ought to see." Spectrum Review
- And the Ft. Lauderdale Edge which reviewed the film for its premiere in Miami called the film "powerful" and "inspirational" and applauded the intimate, simple style of the film's pure story approach.
- "This is a really beautiful, gentle, compelling film that I found very hopeful." Daniel Karsklake, director of For The Bible Tells Me So
The screening will be held at the Lakewood Cultural Center, 470 S. Allison Parkway, Lakewood, CO 80226.
The screening will be followed by a Q & A with the filmmakers. The screening is free, and donations will be accepted to help cover costs.
Looking forward to sharing the film with the Denver area,
Daneen Akers & Stephen Eyer